The “millefoglie” cake, by grandmother Gabry
Read the disclaimer of the category Ricette del cuore ♥♥♥
Gabry is not really my grandmother, but she has done a very good cake, called millefoglie (a classical italian cake) like all grandmothers do. So, as she actually is a grandmother, I decided to name this recipe “the millefoglie made by grandmother Garby”.
She gave it to me as a present, and as soon as I tasted it, as soon I called her to have the recipe
The recipe is very easy, and also fast. You only have to know the trick that she uses. And the trick is very simple: she buys the puff pastry already done, and (at least in Italy) she finds it in the supermarket. The one that she uses is made by Matilde Vincenzi.
Then she likes to add on it some cocoa powder (instead of the classical powdered sugar).
Ingredients for 1 cake:
- Puff pastry: 1 package (3 leaves)
- For the custard: 500 ml. of milk, 6 eggs’ yolks, 150 g. of sugar, 40 g. of flour, the skin of a lemon
- Cocoa powder
- For the custard: a large pot, a container of medium size, a mixer (to blend the yolks)
- Something to pour the cocoa powder
- I prepare the custard and I let it cool down as described here
- I compose the “millefoglie” cake: one leaf of puff pastry, half of custard, one leaf of puff pastry, the remaining custard, one leaf of puff pastry)
- I put on it some cocoa powder
But: grandmother Gabri prepares the custard with 8 yolks, 9 spoons of sugar, 3 spoons of flour, the skin of 1 lemon (she doesn’t weights the ingredients).
(In the picture tray Poloplast)